1.29.2009

My Kingdom for a 32 bit horse....

In the long term I'm going to need to start using Linux again. I've just been reading about the new worm infecting computers running Windows called variously Conficker, Kido or Downadup. Read the article it's very easy to spread and from using other peoples machines via copying files on pen drives. So apart from practising "Safe Hex" the only thing is I need a Linux compatible modem most are windows surprise surprise and a new scanner for exactly the same reason. The Apple option is no longer available to me and a new computer is laughably out of the question. I've run a version of Linux called Suse and was impressed with it. It was very familiar if you've used windows before. Application wise OpenOffice and GIMP handle the writing and photediting applications. I'm using Firefox which is a Mozilla browser which also comes in a Linux flavour. So if I don't want to use the net or scan anything I'm alright. Oh and video there are some applications some of which you have to pay for. So Windows isn't straight in the bin just yet.

Much like banks, software and computer hardware companies have you by the short and curlies.....

No comments: