1.01.2009

I found my first camera








In the first half of the 1980s... My first electric guitar was an Ibanez ST55... my first synth was a Roland SH101... but the Prinzflex 500 was my first camera at around 1984. A rebaged Zenit B. Being the same as the Zenit E but without the light meter. Probably why I prefer manual cameras today.... Similar to the Zenit 3 in that is of a similar specification and layout. The cloth like covering gives it a vaguely Ashi Pentax Spotmatic look I think. Serial number 70118661 denoting made in 1970.

The Industar-50-2 3.5/50mm lens is quite a find. The number 2 denotes it's a M42 srew mount rather than M39. So I'm pleased that with an appropriate M42 adapter it can fit on any camera body. The non stepped aperture is changed from the outer ring at the front and the focus is by the external ring at the back. The lens serial number is 6968772 so from first two numbers denotes made in 1969.

After a test roll this has shown it has an intermittent light leak in the body. If it's not coming from the view finder I could temporarily gaffa tape the front and back seals externally and use the ever ready case. Though it could be reflected light coming through the view finder possibly. I was using this camera without a case on a sunny December day in 2008 since I last used it in 1986.

2 comments:

jelltex said...

Whilst clearing out the attic of my Mother's house last year, I came across the first film I put through my first camera, a Pentax P30, and it was shocking. I like to think I learned a bit since then.

Sadly, it got stolen from the back of my car on a sidestreet in Amsterdam a decade ago.

And have to admit in selling my film camera a couple of months back due to not having the time to use it; and to dreadful processing by Fuji of slides.

I look forward to seeing the results with this baby, Mark.

Mark Sargeant said...

one picture from test roll is here I was using Sunny 16 as I had forgotten where I had put the light meter. When I originally had it I only put I think three films through it and then put it in the loft. Yes strange that but finishing college and music seemed to be high on the agenda for me at the time. If I had the Zenit E with it's light meter I would've used it more? Not that you can always rely on a light meter in all situations.

My aunt gave me her Zenit 3 this xmas which she also obtained from John Wells the same as me. So that made me want to find it even more. There's some light leaks to seal before I use it again. Though with an appropriate M42 adapter I could use the lens on any camera body.

As for processing film I'm finding the same problem of reliable consistancy. So until I get another digital body I'll use these and my P30. With a 50mm prime I'm ok if it's Canon or Nikon. For me I'm finding that's all I really need.