10.26.2008

HALINA 35X













"The Halina 35x is a masterpiece of design, in that it looks like an expensive camera....In 1959, the Halina 35x cost £7 13s. 3d." http://www.marriottworld.com/pieces/pieces34.htm#35x

Found this 35mm viewfinder camera in a charity shop for a fiver. Yes for five UK pounds in all it's luxurious metal shininess. I'll be using the Sunny 16 rule as there's obviously no built in light meter. Not that I can afford to use film extensively as I do with digital. Just another outlet in my creative philosphy. So it's all buffed up and looking nice but will road test with a roll of film this week to really know if it's still useable.

The specs for the technical minded people are

* Type: viewfinder camera
* Year of launch: 1959
* Films: 35mm
* Lens: 1:3.5 / 45mm Halina Anastigmat
* Shutter: speeds 1/25-1/200 sec and Bulb mode.
* Aperture: 1:3.5-1:16


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first camera I ever owned was an Halina 35x. That was nearly 50 years ago and it started me on my long and interesting journey in photography. Most of the pictures didn't come out and the parallax of the viewfinder when you try and take close-ups is a bit off. But all my friends were impressed by professional looking camera.

Mark Sargeant said...

The lens is a bit stiff in use. So just setting it to focus to infinity and I'm away. It's cheaper than a Lensbaby hopefully for some low fi. I'm using it this weekend so i'll findout if there's any light leakage. If that happens it like you say looks good. So it'll end up as an object of art. Whilst I look for a Pentax mount SLR.

Anonymous said...

I've just developed my first roll of prints from one of these. I was pleased with the results, which are a bit Holga-esque, but the colours are rather muted. I'll try black and white next time. Nice little thing, though - I've got rather attached to it.