5.05.2006

The sound of the forum

It was a bright and sunny morning in Norwich and I was sitting in the foyer of the Forum. It was part of this years Open Studios in Norfolk of which I am taking part in. Watching my computer recording the ambient sound of the enviroment. You would think that a libary is a quite place to be. Quite the opposite. I recorded 30 minutes of several interpretations of footsteps due to body index and age, the creaking of keys, the wheeling of push chairs, the murmuring of voices, the bubbling of coffee machines, the reflections of audio waves, the clang of cups on tables, the opening of doors, the sounds of lifts being used, the ringing of phones, footsteps on stone floors, footsteps on metal steps, steeletoes, hush puppies, sandals, flip flops, and DM's. All recorded on thursday the 4th of May 2006 at the Forum in Norwich, United Kingdom, planet earth. I then edited this down to a 3 minute sound collage.

In the mean time I was answering questions to the public about Open Studios and what it does to being asked for directions on the best way to get to Downham Market. Thought that was funny as he was on foot and in the libary.

Walked for a good 30 minutes back to my car in the heat carrying my stuff..exhausted....sit in the car for a few minutes....then scuttle off to the Arts centre for the artist meeting......

No comments: